As parents, we want to make sure that our children are healthy and developing properly. One of the best ways to ensure their wellbeing is by taking them to regular wellness visits.
Toddler wellness visits are important to monitor your child’s growth and development, which typically occur between ages 1 to 3 years old. During these visits, your child’s healthcare provider observes and assesses their development and provides guidance on how to best support their growth.
Knowing what to expect during these visits, particularly in terms of developmental shifts in growth, can help you prepare and support your child’s wellbeing.
5 Areas of Focus During Toddler Wellness Visits
Your baby’s health care provider will focus on five key areas during a wellness visit:
- Physical Development: During toddler wellness visits, healthcare providers will measure your child’s height, weight, and head circumference to ensure they are growing at a healthy rate. The physical development of your child also includes assessing their fine and gross motor skills, such as grasping objects, walking, and jumping. Your healthcare provider may also check for signs of dental issues and vision problems.
- Cognitive Development: The toddler years are a time of rapid cognitive growth and development. During these visits, healthcare providers will evaluate your child’s language and social skills, such as saying basic words, following simple commands, and interacting with others. Your healthcare provider may also advise you on how to improve your child’s cognitive skills through activities like reading, play, and exercise.
- Emotional Development: Toddler wellness visits also pay attention to the emotional development of your child. Healthcare providers will assess if your child is meeting age-appropriate milestones in emotional regulation, such as self-soothing and controlling temper tantrums. You will also discuss your child’s emotional health and development with your healthcare provider, such as changes in your child’s sleep habits, attitude, and mood.
- Nutrition: Toddler wellness visits focus on how well your child is eating. Healthcare providers will guide you on your child’s nutritional needs, such as iron-rich foods and proper serving sizes. You may also discuss how to manage picky eating habits, implementing a balanced diet, and meal planning strategies to ensure your child is getting the nutrients they need to grow and develop.
- Preventive Care: Keeping a toddler healthy also involves preventive care measures, including vaccinations and screenings. Your healthcare provider will advise you on the vaccines your child requires and when to schedule them. Additionally, your child will undergo screenings for potential developmental challenges, hearing and vision problems, lead poisoning, and other risks at certain wellness appointments.
Wellness Checkups for Babies in Woodlands and Spring, Texas
As a parent, it is essential that you take an active role in promoting your child’s health and development by keeping up with wellness visits, following guidance and instructions of the healthcare provider, and advocating for your child’s growth and development.
The highly skilled team at Northwoods Pediatric Center P.A. is dedicated to providing comprehensive and compassionate care to children of all ages, and we encourage all parents to prioritize the health and wellness of their young ones. In addition to well-child exams and vaccines, we offer services to diagnose, treat, and prevent virtually every common illness your child might get, as well as parent and teacher forms for behavioral health evaluations.