As a parent, you already know that a pediatrician is a medical doctor who specializes in treating children, from birth all the way to adulthood. Serving as a primary care physician for your child, this doctor performs regular health and wellness checkups, diagnoses and treats a wide range of general health conditions, administers the right vaccinations at the right times and offers health advice to young patients and their parents or caregivers.
However, there are other things about pediatric healthcare you may not be aware of that can help you provide your child with the best care available. Let’s talk about some key facts about children’s healthcare, and where you can go in The Woodlands and Spring for outstanding pediatric care.
Types of Pediatric Medical Specialists
Did you know that there are various types of pediatricians who specialize in treating specific medical conditions or age ranges? These specialists include:
- Adolescent medicine specialists who focus exclusively on care for patients between the ages of 11 to 21
- Critical care pediatricians who facilitate teams of healthcare professionals to treat children in unstable or critical health situations, usually in hospital-based intensive care units (ICUs)
- Developmental behavioral pediatricians who evaluate the behavioral development of children and diagnose and treat developmental, learning, and mental health problems in their young patients
- Child abuse pediatricians use their specialized training, experience, and skills to evaluate and help children who may have experienced abuse or neglect
- Pediatric oncologists who specialize in diagnosing and treating different forms of cancer in children
- Pediatric cardiologists who diagnose and treat various heart conditions in children
- Pediatric pulmonologists who diagnose, treat and manage breathing issues and lung diseases in children
- Pediatric rheumatologists who treat children who have musculoskeletal disorders, such as chronic pain or juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
- Pediatric nephrologists who specialize in treating children who have conditions that affect the kidneys and the urinary system, including urinary tract infections (UTIs)and kidney disease
- Pediatric neurologists who treat and manage neurological disorders in children
- Neonatal-perinatal pediatricians who provide care to infants before, during, and after birth, and treat premature and critically ill newborns
- Pediatric gastroenterologists who monitor the health of a young patient’s digestive system
- Pediatric endocrinologists who specialize in evaluating and treating the endocrine system, the hormones it produces, and related diseases in children, including diabetes
Conditions Often Treated by Pediatricians
In addition to offering well-child visits (checkups), offering general health advice, and administering physical exams and vaccinations, pediatricians provide a wide range of health-related services. These include screenings (COVID-19 test, flu test, hearing and vision screening, strep test, RSV test, electrocardiogram, etc.) to the management of medical conditions, such as:
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Diaper rash
- Lacerations (cuts)
- Sore throat
- Sprains and strains
- Treat injuries, including fractures and dislocations
- Evaluate your child’s physical, emotional, and social development
- Prescribe medications, such as pain relievers and antibiotics
- Diagnose and treat various underlying medical conditions
- Refer your child to pediatric specialists if necessary
Pediatric Clinics in The Woodlands and Spring, TX
At Northwoods Pediatric Center, your child’s health and well-being are our top priorities. Our practice specializes in healthcare for newborns to young adults, including checkups, vaccinations, and the treatment of common childhood illnesses.
We take pride in providing the highest-quality, personalized, and compassionate care. We are dedicated to fully educating you about your child’s developmental and healthcare needs, and we want to partner with you in providing the care they need every step of the way to adulthood.
For your convenience, same-day appointments are available. To schedule a visit for your child with one of our highly trained pediatricians, call us today at (281) 296-7770. You can also fill out our online Request an Appointment form now. We look forward to being a key healthcare partner for your family!