More than anything else, your greatest priority as a parent is seeing that your child stays safe and healthy. One way to meet that commitment is by choosing a top-quality pediatrician who not only provides expert care for your child, but also provides valuable guidance for your entire family.
There are many pediatric specialists to choose from, but finding one who best meets your family’s long-term medical needs requires a bit of due diligence.
Here are seven tips on how to select the best pediatrician:
- Identify your family’s specific medical needs and preferences. This will enable you to focus on the type of doctor you want for your child. Besides pediatricians, family medicine practitioners and pediatric nurses are also qualified to take care of children. Whatever your choice of provider, make sure they are board-certified, indicating that they have the special training needed to provide the best care for your child.
- Ask trusted family, friends, and colleagues who have children for their personal recommendations.Not only do they have experience with pediatricians but may also share your approach to medical care while understanding your particular needs when it comes to parenting.
- Consider the pediatrician’s practice. Take note of its size, location, and hours. If you work, you may need to choose a clinic that offers extended, evening, and weekend hours. A practice that is close to your home or office is important, especially if your child suddenly becomes ill or is injured. The practice should have an online patient portal, so you can conveniently request appointments, review lab results, or access forms and records that are required for day care or school. On one hand, a smaller group practice can make it easier to build a relationship with a single doctor, while a larger practice makes it easier to arrange an appointment. Weigh these options based on your needs and preferences.
- Takecertain factors about the doctor into account. Age, gender, and level of experience can influence your preference and rapport with a doctor.You want to choose a pediatrician with whom you can easily communicate and feel comfortable. So, it’s okay to be selective.
- Assess the doctor’s personality and style. In addition to treating your child when they are sick, a pediatrician can help you fully understand your child’s health, growth, and development. That’s why establishing a collaborative relationship with your child’s doctor is important. To develop that bond, choose a pediatrician whose demeanor is compatible with yours.
- Make sure your chosen pediatrician shares your views on medical issues. It’s best to work with a pediatrician who understands and respects your preferences when it comes to things like vaccinations, breastfeeding, or circumcision – just to name a few – and can advise you on the most appropriate course of treatment for your child.
- Check your insurance coverage. Depending on your insurance, you may need to select a pediatrician within its provider network. Your insurance provider’s website should provide a list of covered pediatric practices. You can also verify this with your health insurance’s member services department.
Best Pediatrician Near You in The Woodlands and Spring, Texas
At Northwoods Pediatric Center, your child’s health and wellbeing is our number one priority. Unlike corporate-run healthcare systems, we provide personalized and compassionate care that is dedicated to fully educating you about your child’s developmental and health care needs. In fact, we want to be your partner in providing the care your child needs every step of the way from infancy to adulthood.
Our practice specializes in healthcare services for newborns to young adults, including annual wellness checkups, vaccinations, and the treatment of a wide range of childhood illnesses. At Northwoods Pediatric Center, westrive to develop an alliance with you and a special relationship built on trust and confidence.
To schedule an appointment for your child with one of our highly trained pediatricians, call us today at (281) 296-7770. For your convenience, same day appointments are available. You can also arrange for a visit by filling out our online Request an Appointment form.